Outdoor Education (Years 3-11)
Outdoor Education is an integral part of Redeemer’s Personal Development program and provides unique opportunities and experiences for all students from Year 3 through to Year 11. The sequenced program aims to develop in our students:
- self-confidence and self-respect and an appreciation of students’ worth as individuals.
- a faith for daily living that may thereby be helped in achieving their highest potential as children of God.
- responsibility as members of their families and citizens of their communities; recognition of the worth of all people by being sensitive to and respectful of their individual beliefs.
- a belief that health of mind and body, physical fitness and mental well-being are conditions to be achieved and maintained.
- their capacities for leadership within their own groups and in community life.
- An appreciation of the beauty, diversity, and interdependence of all forms of life and all resources which God has provided in their world.
- Our Outdoor Education program links the classroom curriculum to the outdoors, and allows students to learn through practical experience, reflection, and discussion. Students are challenged to engage in environmentally sustainable living practices and to develop key personal and social competencies.
Students engage in challenges and activities of varying complexity that require them to be creative, organised, and resourceful; whilst developing resilience and additional skills required to live harmoniously and sustainably in an ever changing world.
As a Lutheran school, Redeemer shares the philosophy of Lutheran Education that our schools should provide programs which develop the whole child, and personal development is a core element of developing the social aspect of a student.
It is taken for granted that camps and tours will, wherever possible, also include a spiritual and or religious element as befits a Christian school.
Two key aspects of Redeemer’s camps and tour program under the umbrella of personal development are:
- Growing self-reliance and self-discipline within our students; self-discipline being one of our College values
- Developing team work and or a sense of community; again this aspect is informed by the College values, especially care of and service to others.
The Junior School programs for Years 3, 4, 5 & 6 are appropriate to each year level and build on the learning that takes place in the classroom. Students develop their skills, knowledge, and experience in terms of relationships, independence, communication and problems solving; whilst experiencing increasing levels of interdependence within their year level cohort.
Outdoor Education in the Middle Years expands and extends the challenges presented to students in previous years. The programs continue to foster personal development, skill development, experience, and knowledge with regards to environmental awareness and appreciation, sustainability, adventure and community living in a non-threatening environment of ‘challenge by choice’.
Outdoor Education in the Senior Years focuses on independence and leadership. The Year 9 Experience is the pinnacle of the Outdoor Education program. This extended experience offers a greater level of complexity and challenge than previous programs and fosters learning outcomes relating to independence, co-dependence, respect, perseverance, community living skills, increased self-reliance, resilience, and a greater understanding of our responsibilities in the world and our relationship with God.
|Year 3||Overnight||Year 3 Sleep-over: Redeemer Lutheran College|
|Year 4||1 Night||Year 4 Camp: Camp Warrawee, North Pine
|Year 5||2 Nights||Year 5 Camp: Higher Ground, Mary Valley (from 2017)
|Year 6||5 Nights||Year 7 Canberra Tour|
|Year 7||2 Nights||Year 7 Camp: Luther Heights, LYQ Campsite, Coolum Beach
|Year 8||3 Nights||Year 8 Camp: Elanda Point, Cooloola Recreation Area (from 2017)
|Year 9||26 Nights||Year 9 Experience: Mt Binga, Outdoor Education Centre (from 2017)
|Year 10||1 Day||Year 10 City Experience, Brisbane CBD|
|Year 11||2 Nights||Leadership Camp: Luther Heights, LYQ Campsite, Coolum Beach|
Year 9 Experience